Tuesday, September 22, 2009

[cheesy baked potato soup]

...in a sourdough bread bowl!!

This is my first time making this recipe so I really hope it turns out okay. I went and looked through about 50 different websites trying to find a cheesy baked potato recipe that had the ingredients that I already had a home, because as we all know -- I am poor! I figured making a meal with ingredients that I already had would be easier than going to the store to and buying mix. SO -- We here we are, my first adventure.

What I like about this dish is that I can start it in the afternoon after I get out of my first class. Once I get the first part of the ingredients done, I don't touch the crock pot for 5 hours! The next step has you wait another hour, so it's easy to do homework instead of slaving over the stove!

Cheesy Baked Potato Soup
Necessary Items:
  • 1. Large crock pot
  • 2. Small blender (I don't like onions, but I love the flavor! So I just mince it up in a little food processor)
  • 3. Something to stir with!
Recipe:
(I've changed a few things to my liking! It is still in the crock pot, so I will tell you if I've failed or not in about... 5 hours!! )
  • 6 medium potatoes, washed, peeled and cut into 1/2 cubes
  • 1 small onion, minced (I food process mine because I'm picky!)
  • 1 small green onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 chicken bouillon cubes or 14 oz can of chicken broth
  • 2 cups of milk
  • 1/2 cup of flour
  • salt, pepper to taste
  • 1 cup of shredded cheese of your choice
  • bacon bits, sour cream and shredded cheese for garnish
  • 4 sour dough bread rolls! big ones!! yum!
Phase 1: Potatoes, Onions, Butter and Broth!
That is my broth onions and cubed potatoes. I forgot to get the butter and green onions in there but at least this is something to look at for now!
  1. Add the chicken broth to the crock pot.
  2. Add minced onions and stir into broth with wooden spoon
  3. Add potatoes to the crock pot
  4. Put butter into crock pot and mix it in
  5. Turn crock pot on medium for 5 hours! Woo!! This is going to be a long wait!!

Phase 2: After 5 hours... Water, Milk, Flour and Cheeeeese!

1. Add the water with the flour and mix until well blended.
2. Add water mixture to milk and stir.
3. Pour into crock pot along with the cheese!
4. Stir together well, and cover.
5. Cover, turn crock pot to low and let stand for 1 hour or until serving time!

Phase 3: The Sour Dough Bread Bowl & Garnish!
This was the fun part!!
  • Take a knife and slice the very top of the bread bowl off
  • Take a spoon and carefully spoon out the middle part, just like you'd do for a twice baked potato!
  • Take a ladle and spoon the soup into the bread bowl.
  • Garnish to your liking!! I added bacon bits and reduced fat cheddar cheese to the top! I also added a dollop of fat free sour cream!!

This is my lovely boyfriend David who experiences all of my dishes, the good and the bad. He makes my life worth living. Thank you David -- for always... always being there for me.
This website is dedicated to you.
I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment